Installed in 1885, the Leas Lift is a grade II listed funicular railway linking the seafront and promenade in Folkestone, Kent. The lift is a remarkable piece of Victorian engineering; using water and gravity, controlled from a small cabin at the top of the cliff. By alternately filling and emptying tanks fixed beneath the two cars with water, the lift can carry fifteen passengers up and down the cliffs and by recycling the water has a near zero impact on the environment. The Leas Lift is one of only a handful of such water balance lifts left in the world today.
In the summer of 2009 Shepway Council relinquished their longstanding stewardship of the attraction and responding to overwhelming public support for the lift, Lord Radnor instigated the scheme to restore the nineteenth century listed buildings and machinery, to their former glory.
Initially appointed to undertaking detailed structural and mechanical appraisals of the lift to assist Lord Radnor in his negotiations with Shepway, we subsequently prepared designs and a full schedule of work for renovation of the complete site.
In 2011, the completed poject to restore the lift received a number of awards including:
Association for Consultancy and Engineering (ACE) – Engineering Excellence Awards : Winner
Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) – Engineering Excellence Awards : Winner
Constructing Excellence South East Awards : Highly commended